Pages

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Emotional Distance

I'm a nurse, but sometimes I... walk a fine line between emotional connections with patients and professionalism.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm always professional. However, I think that part of being a nurse means walking a narrow line between therapeutic relationships and strict business-like interactions. As a nurse, it is our job to make the patient feel cared for, without crossing the line to something too personal.

The other day, I came across this article in the New York Times. Written by a registered nurse, it told the story of her experiences becoming close with patients, and knowing when the relationship becomes too personal. I encourage you all to read this article. It's not very long, but truer words have never been spoken to me. This is something I think about a lot-- the human connection nurses make with their patients, all while having to stay aware of the appropriateness of a personal relationship.

It's almost impossible to work in health care without forming human connections, especially in nursing. You will always think "that could be my sister" or "he reminds me of my grandpa". These thoughts are what urges us to provide better care, and make sure that the patients are receiving all of the physical and emotional attention they need.

Patient satisfaction is a major part of nursing, and the more attention given, the greater the satisfaction. I had many patients on the oncology unit I worked on who reminded me of my aunt. I made sure that all of my patients were well taken care of, but those patients kept me coming back... wanting to give them extra attention. I had one specific patient who had pancreatic cancer, and every time I went into the room, I'd give the patient's family a special smile. I never told them about my aunt, but I did make sure that they knew that I cared, and that I would be there for anything they needed.

It may cross a line to share too much of your own life, but understanding where a patient or their family is coming from helps to make the care more personal. By being there for people, you can make them feel cared about and provided for in their scariest days. That's why I continue to want a be a nurse. To be there for people who need love the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment