Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Stay Strong

I'm a nurse, but sometimes I... don't realize the struggle of others automatically.

As I sit here today, September 11, 2013, I am reminded of the fifth grade girl watching the towers fall in her desk chair. I was unable to understand what was really happening, at the time. It wasn't until returning home after school to find my mom watching the news and crying did I realize that something terrible had happened. My uncle lived and still lives in New York City, and of course, she wasn't able to get a hold of him.

I was fortunate to not lose anyone close to me that day, but I do know people that did. I was able to travel to New York a couple of months after, and to see the damage first-hand as a twelve year old is an experience I will never forget. Like I said before, I don't think I understood truly what happened until I was faced with people slowly cleaning up the rubble that was left behind.

Today, I think it's important to remember those that lost their lives, both innocent and brave. Whether you believe it was a conspiracy theory, or a terrorist attack, many of our fellow Americans (fellow people) lost their lives. That is not something that we should simply brush off. My aunt, who I mentioned in a previous post, spent her last living months (though unaware) working with the Cantor Fitzgerald Relief Fund. I think about her everyday, but especially on this day each year.

Yesterday was World Suicide Prevention Day. I think it ties in well with this event; it reminds us life is so precious. We all should realize that fact a little bit more, and become more aware of the struggles around us. Basically, we all should just love a little more. I'm taking a challenge upon myself to let my friends and family know more often how much I love them. I'm also going to try to share a smile with a stranger more frequently, and be less hesitant to share a compliment. How often do we appreciate something someone else does, but we don't say anything because we "don't know them that well"? Sometimes, all a person needs to feel important is a nice word from another person.

As a nurse, we are taught to be hyper-aware of suicide risks, and take extreme precautions when we notice suicidal behavior from one of our patients. However, I know I let my guard down a little bit when I'm out in the world outside of a hospital. I'm going to try to be more aware from now on, and spread some love. A simple phone call to someone you haven't seen or talked to in a while may be all they need.

My heart goes out to the families and friends that lost loved ones on this day, twelve years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment