Pages

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Fiercer Than Sasha

I'm a nurse, but sometimes people surprise me.

I'm hoping you all caught a glimpse of an article featuring Deborah Cohen, the brave woman facing a double mastectomy who coordinated a dance party with her surgical team. The video amazed me, made me laugh, and definitely made me smile. She's one of the coolest people I've seen around the Internet in a while, and I wanted to share her video with all of you.
Unfortunately, I can't post the video directly on this blog, so instead I'll link her video here:

Deb's OR Flash Mob

As an Ob/Gyn, Deborah obviously has more medical knowledge than the average patient, but with that comes more awareness of what she's facing. This makes her story that much more awesome... the fact that she wanted to take this hurdle and make it something positive. I love when she says "this is a time-out". As a nurse, I see many people dealing with various diagnoses very differently. There are some people who become depressed, some people who deny their illness, and some people who take charge. You learn to read people, and help each patient in the way they specifically need helped.

I think it's incredible that Deborah chose to deal with her struggles in this way. Just watching her dance made me feel better, and I'm sure that eight minutes of dancing fun helped her in some way to take charge of her illness. The way you let a struggle make you feel can determine the outcome, and medical professionals could be more in tune in helping patients deal with difficult moments.

I wish I had been in that room for that dance party, because it looks like it was a lot of fun... and she had some darn-good moves.

All I have to say is, Queen B better watch out.

No comments:

Post a Comment