Pages

Monday, November 18, 2013

No Spend November Update


Well, it's about time I fill you guys in on how I'm doing with this whole "No Spend November" thing. If you haven't heard already, I've linked up with Paige from A Dose of Paige to cut spending this month. As discussed in a previous post, I decided to specifically cut spending in makeup and fast food. I've actually done a very good job, in my opinion, and have done a couple of things with the money I would have typically spent!

I mentioned before that I have a drugstore makeup/fast food spending problem, and I've been surprised at how easy it has been not spending money on those two things. I've started my new job, and I've gotten a few pay checks, and rather than blow money on useless things, I've... saved my money. A simple idea, really. Because I realize how fortunate I am to be able to spend money on such frivolous things, I began noticing things I could do to help out others. And because I typically spend at least $20 every time I enter a drugstore, the absence of this spending has left me with some extra money I wanted to share. I shared my money with two causes I found very important:

1. The Bond Family

The sister of one of my close friends has been a nanny for a few years now. Unfortunately, under rare circumstances, the child she nannies has both parents with cancer. One of the major wishes these people had for their daughter was to take her to Disney World, and they wanted to do it soon, because of the progression of the mother's illness. I've never met this family, but I've heard countless stories, and the love and optimism they share is contagious. I was eager to help in any way that I could, and when I found out that my friend's sister was raising funds to send the family to Disney, I was on board.

Apparently, there were several donation groups started for the family, which resulted in enough money to send them on a celebrity-worthy trip to Disney, and also some money that would go towards medical bills and anything else they would need. More than that, though, I was able to contribute something towards memories that the family would treasure forever. That, simply stated, is priceless.

2. Operation Christmas Child

Through my church, I participated in Operation Christmas Child this year. The idea is to purchase little items (gloves, hats, toiletries, school supplies, etc.) for a child of a designated age/gender, and package them in something like a shoebox. These boxes travel to different countries, and throughout the United States, and are received by children who may not normally get anything for Christmas, or who can't afford basic necessities.

This is a fun charity event to participate in, because you get to experience the thrill of picking out little gifts for someone who would be so thrilled to open them. This year, I bought for a boy between the ages of ten to fourteen. I purchased a winter hat, socks, a sweatshirt, gum, mints, pens, pencils, etc. It was a fun day for me, and I appreciate the fact that the person who receives my gift is in need of those items. By cutting out fast food and makeup, both things I don't need, I was able to keep a child's hands and feet warm through the winter.

Have you been cutting spending this month? If so, what on? What could you use that money you saved for? Leave me a comment and let me know, I'd love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment