Pages

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Decorations for the Dorm: Blogmas Day 1!

Throughout my college career, I acquired the reputation of being an elf. As I described before, I'm a huge fun of anything holiday-related, and that didn't change with moving into a dorm room. Freshman year, I decided to decorate my dorm room fairly excessively, and I had a blast doing it. Ever since then, my dorm rooms were the spot to snuggle up with some hot chocolate, and watch a Christmas movie.

I decided to start out blogmas with this post because I know most college students aren't in their dorms for a good amount of December. I always liked to decorate early so as to have maximum time with the decorations. It honestly doesn't take a whole lot for a dorm room to feel very festive. It's a little space, so any amount of fairy lights and red and green makes you feel like you're in a winter wonderland. I've gathered up some pictures, as well as tips, that truly represent my dorm room decorating techniques when it comes to the holidays. 

1. A Christmas tree guarantees holiday cheer. 

My favorite part of dorm room decoration was my little Christmas tree. I bought it at Target, and it lasted me all four years of college (my sister is now using it!). It was a worthwhile purchase, and was the definite focus-point of my dorm room for the holiday season. My roommate and I decorated it with silver and red bulbs (Target), and a red tree skirt (also from Target). I used to work in a floral shop, so I made the silver bow to top of the tree. I have since forgotten that skill.
2. Add some pine roping and more fairy lights, if possible.

I strung a single pine roping above my roommate's window, and weaved fairy lights through it. I added two bows to the corners of the window for another touch. You can never have too many lights, green, or silver when it comes to decoration...
3. Throw some stockings into the mix!

This is another fun thing to do with your roommate. I bought stockings from TJ Maxx for the two of us, and it was fun to see them hanging all December. It kind of made our dorm feel like our own little home for the month. I secured them on my closet door with hooks from Target, and disguised them with... more silver bows!
4. Add a little sparkle wherever possible.

I purchased these little glitter trees from Target, and I still have the silver one proudly displayed in my room today. They don't take up a lot of space, but they're the perfect festive touch to a desk or a dresser.
5. Christmas plates, perhaps?

I went a little Christmas-crazy at Target my sophomore year, and purchased Christmas plates. They were very affordable (plastic), but they added a great touch when paired with more fairy lights and a white feather boa. This display sat on the top of my desk, and I also added some matching boxes of hot chocolate for decor and easy-access.
6. Do something fun and festive with your whole floor!

My sophomore year, we lived on something called a "wing", which was a part of the dorm that housed about twelve rooms. That Christmas, we decorated the common area, and posted this big calender on the wall. On each day, I added what Christmas movies were on ABC Family, and it was also a fun way to count down the days until Christmas break. Any activity like this that brings people together is a great idea in my book.
Nursing students, take a break from studying and decorate! It will make you feel a lot better, and definitely works to take your mind off of school for a bit. But once you're done, study hard in your new, happy environment! 

No comments:

Post a Comment