Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Choosing My Path

I'm a nurse, but sometimes I... reflect on why I became on in the first place.

Everyone chooses his or her career path for different reasons. It may be because of money, an opportunity, or something that happened in the past, but there's always a reason. I went into nursing because of a life event that occurred when I was twelve. It was at that age I found out my aunt was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

Being twelve, this was one of the most confusing times in my life. My aunt was arguably my favorite relative (even though, I know, you're not supposed to have one..._, ad I had many memories that were wrapped around her. It's truly not even possible to explain the role that she had in my life. She was my dad's best friend, and she was the sister my mom never ha. She was the most outgoing and brightest person I knew, and it was unbelievable to me that someone like her could be sick, the way she was.

The months following her diagnosis, I watched my aunt grow weaker and weaker. She did an excellent job of hiding the extent of her sickness from her nieces and nephews, but her physical deterioration was undeniable. For those of you who are familiar with the disease process of pancreatic cancer, you know that it progresses very quickly. I truly blocked a lot of that time out of my memory... I missed a lot of school days in the sixth grade, as well. However, one thing that truly stuck out in my mind through the entire course of her illness: her hospice nurses.

Throughout that time, I was able to observe the role nurses had in the disease process. their bright faces brought my aunt a comfort that our family could not; she could ask them questions, receive honest, accurate answers, and share with them her concerns in confidentiality. Even though she was an independent adult, I could sense the gratitude she felt for the people who treated and cared for her. It was that sense of gratitude my aunt felt, and the kind, considerate impression those women left, that first compelled my interests toward nursing school.

After my aunt passed away, I did everything I could to honor her memory. My ideas for my future changed multiple times in my middle and high schooling (architect, interior decorator, surgeon, etc.), but I knew exactly what I wanted to be when it was time to make my decision. I wanted to help people as the hospice nurses had helped my aunt; essentially, my aunt helped me realize my future. Although I would give anything to have her back, I am forever grateful to her and will do my best to honor her as a nurse.

How did you decide to go into nursing, or the career of your choice? Leave a comment below, I'd love to hear each of your stories!


No comments:

Post a Comment