Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2013

How I (eventually) Passed the NCLEX

I'm a nurse, but sometimes I... need two posts to finish a topic.

Okay, so now that you know part of my background story, I'll get to the stuff you really want to know. If I didn't pass the NCLEX on the first try, what did I change? What did I do differently when I had a second chance? The most important thing, I truly believe, was that I changed my mindset.

After taking (and failing) that first test, I was definitely the most depressed I've ever been. What got me out of that funk, in all honesty, was my mom reminding me that I was smart, and that I could pass it. After all, if I could get through four years of nursing school, I should definitely be able to pass this test.

I then moved to motivational techniques, as I pointed out in my last post. I changed the lock screen of my phone to the picture I attached, and added this picture to the background:

It sounds cheesy, and it was... but it worked!
Once I was back in the game, I got to work. I researched what would work best for me, and also looked back on what helped me pass the HESI exam (again, I'll come back to that topic another day).

1. My first step was to purchase the three-week course from NCSBN Learning Extension. I had utilized this resource for the first NCLEX, but I had only done the content review. In my opinion, I don't think that reviewing content was as important as practicing questions. This course also offers hundreds of questions, which I completed multiple times in the 45 days before taking the second test.

2. I also purchased LaCharity's PDA  book, as these types of questions are frequently asked, and important to know. I found prioritization questions to be my downfall, and this workbook definitely helped me to realize what kind of answers the test was looking for.

3. My friend (who had passed the first time) let me borrow her Saunders Comprehensive Review and the Saunders Q&A Review. I focused mostly on the subjects I was weaker in, and really read through the rationale for each question. I felt that the Saunders books did a great job of explaining why some answers weren't correct, which better helped me to understand the NCLEX in general.

4. Finally, I spent a lot of time on allnurses.com, which was a good and bad thing for me. I found a lot of helpful tips on the forums, but it also caused me to worry way too much on things I wouldn't have known if not for the website. So, definitely use the resources... but at your own risk! I really reviewed two study guides I found on the site: Study Guide #1 and Study Guide #2. Again, I can't confirm every fact on these study guides, but I read over each twice, and passed!

The day before the text, I read over each study guide once. I had planned on not studying at all, but I felt like I should. You have to do what feels best for you. I got my hair done, otherwise, and tried to relax the rest of the day.

On the day of the test, I felt much different than I had felt the first time. My dad drove me to the testing center, which I would recommend if possible, because it helped me to stay calm. The entire experience was so different that it was unbelievable. I sat down, and began the test... before I knew it, I was on question 75. When I hit the submit button, I couldn't believe that it shut off. A smile spread across my face, and I knew I had passed it.

For any of you with severe testing anxiety, know that it is possible to stay calm during the test. I did the second time, both because it was a familiar setting, and because I had practiced so many questions in the 45 days following my first. If I can give you one piece of advice, it is to practice, practice, practice all of the questions that you can. It will help!

If any of you guys have questions, please feel free to comment. I will be glad to answer/help in any way that I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment