Pages

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

I'm Giving Up.

I'm a nurse, but sometimes I... make terrible diet choices.

I don't drink alcohol. I don't do drugs. Man, I even take awhile to take a ibuprofen or Tylenol. My vice, then, has always been pop (or soda, whichever...). Specifically, Coca Cola. I've tried numerous times to "give up" pop for good, but to no avail. You know how it's supposed to take thirty days to break a habit, or something like that? That has never worked for me.

I've watched many people give up pop for Lent, or just a thirty day period, and admittedly not have a craving for it anymore. However, I've tried almost every year to give up pop for thirty straight days, and at the end of it, all I wanted was a cold can of Coke.

You can imagine, then, that my trip to the dentist yesterday didn't go so well. I knew going in that I was not going to like the results, and I was exactly right. A little cavity hid between each of my back molars, causing me to schedule four more dentist appointments to fill them in. I brush my teeth at least twice a day, and I floss pretty regularly, but the acidity of the pop mixed with the sugar was trouble.

In addition to my teeth decay, I've also had a kidney stone this year. That was pain enough to stop drinking pop for good, but this dentist appointment was just icing on the cake. Not to mention, I have a strong feeling that pop has a link to pancreatic cancer...

I've decided to really give this another go. I'm going to try to cut pop out of my life completely, and I'll fill you all in along the way. Maybe you can try it with me, if you're a pop-drinker like me! I have a feeling that my teeth will be whiter, my skin will be clearer, and I'll feel better overall. This will be tough, but I'm going to make an honest attempt.
Yes, those were both mine... I have a serious problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment