Pages

Friday, August 16, 2013

Farmers Markets Are Cool.

I'm a nurse, but sometimes I... frequent local farmers markets.

I'm going to be honest, I detest vegetables. Seriously! I will only eat celery and carrots, which are pretty much vegetables for those in kindergarten, right? So it's a wonder that someone like me would be found perusing various stands full of those colorful foods. Also, my boyfriend's an urban farmer. Unlikely couple... I know, I know.

Because Alex grows fresh produce, I do like to come to farmers markets to support him. I have found that although I don't like the food sold there (except for the baked goods!), the atmosphere of a farmers market is generally enjoyable. The people who sell foods at the local markets are all very approachable, and they each have a different story to tell. Also, there's a genuine friendliness between most vendors, even though they're in competition. It's refreshing.

What do I buy there if I don't eat vegetables? Well, I do buy vegetables for my parents. My mom always likes good tomatoes and cucumbers. I've started to realize, though, that vegetables are an important part of any persons diet, and I should try to acquire a taste for some. I decided to try various recipes that contain the vegetables I despise (cucumbers, tomatoes, broccoli, etc.) and see if I can find some that I can tolerate. I might even like some!

I'll try and post some of my most-enjoyed recipes on this blog. Maybe there are some others like me out there, and I can help you all through this difficult time of hating something that's good for you. It's sad, because I really appreciate the looks and colors of vegetables. And as a nurse, it's important to practice what I preach... I certainly shouldn't scold a patient for eating poorly when I am doing the same. For now, I'll test my vegetable limits, bite by bite.

Have a happy Friday, everyone! I'll be moving my sister into her college apartment this weekend, but I'll be back Monday with some decoration posts, as well as my thoughts on the Pearson Vue Trick (the what...?), and why I became a nurse! Thank you all so much for sticking with me!


No comments:

Post a Comment