Pages

Friday, October 11, 2013

#Be Present

Happy Friday, everyone! I decided to close out this week with another #advicetobabynursingstudents. I could try to give advice all day, and I could say one thing is more important than the other, but this... I think that is is one of the most important things I learned in nursing school. In life, really. This advice can truly serve for any profession, anyone in school.

Always be present, both physically and mentally, in all of your classes. It doesn't hurt anyone but yourself to be absent. You will only than yourself later if you've been active in all of your classes, taking notes and asking questions. 

I spent the first two years of nursing school thinking it was no big deal to miss a class or two. Sometimes, laying in bed, painting my nails, or watching a movie seemed like a better idea to me. Besides, if there wasn't an in-class assignment, or a test, then what did it matter? I was wrong, though. It all mattered a lot.

You see, in my nursing program (and I'm sure many others), the beginning is just as crucial as the end. You build and build, until the things you learned in the beginning become the foundation, and it's hard to learn more if that's not strong. I'm speaking directly from experience. There were some classes my freshman and sophomore year that I could have done better in, and I attribute not reaching my potential to skipping some classes.

Now, it's important to be physically present, but it's also just as important to remain mentally present. I can't tell you how many classes I checked out of mentally sometimes. I had a good friend who was always present, physically and mentally. At some points when I'd go to check twitter or something, I'd look over at her and realize she had pages and pages of notes. That girl graduated with a 4.0. Be that girl. Do your best! Don't allow yourself to sabotage... yourself.

I really think this is important. I urge you to try to build yourself a strong foundation, and do the best that you can! You'll only make it easier for yourself in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment