Pages

Thursday, October 3, 2013

#Stick Together

Hello, everyone! I've decided to make today another #advicetobabynurses day, even though that wasn't the initial plan. I was hoping to create a beauty post today, but since it's dark and rainy here, it's been hard to photograph the products. Stay tuned for that post (hopefully tomorrow!). Today's advice especially applies to nursing students, but I think it should be applicable to any major, as well as any life stage.

Find a group of peers who you trust personally and academically, and stick close by them. Nothing better helps a person conquer nursing school than a strong emotional and intellectual support group! Study with these people, and vent to these people.

Nursing school is tough, there's no way around it. However, I found it to be much easier going through it with a group of people who were experiencing the same thing. It could be argued that it's better to just keep to yourself, and get through it on your own. That may work for some, but for me it was much easier to have a core group of friends who I could go to when I needed help.

Surround yourself with people who are willing to help you if you don't understand something, and be willing to help them as well. If everyone works together, everyone succeeds! It's a simple idea. My group of friends in nursing school always worked to help the one person who was struggling in our group, and "that person" changed with each topic we covered.

Not only is it important to have people to bounce ideas and questions off of, it's also important to surround yourself with people who understand what you're going through. No one outside of nursing school really gets it, I promise. Unless they're a practicing nurse, they haven't the slightest idea what it's about, and even if they are a nurse, sometimes it's difficult to remember. Nursing school seems much easier once you're out of it!

Basically, keep your friends close, and utilize your resources. If you work as a team, you can accomplish many things. All of my friends from nursing school are now starting to work in the "real world", but we still keep in contact. I know if I need to vent about nursing, or if I have a question about something, they are just a phone call or group text away. In fact, I'll be going to a haunted house with some of them next week! It's important to work to maintain those friendships, and I plan on doing so.

I hope you all are having an amazing week. For those of you in nursing school currently, leave me a comment and let me know how it's going! Do you prefer to work alone in nursing school, or have you also found it's more productive (and fun!) when you have people to share it with?

No comments:

Post a Comment