Pages

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Two Thoughts

Throughout the classroom portion of orientation, I realized a lot of different things. I remembered that I like school more than the average person, and that lattes out of a vending machine aren't half bad. I recalled computer-charting skills, and decided that I liked my current employer's system better than the systems I had used throughout school. I had flashbacks to early clinical days, and remembered what it felt like to have to wake up early and be on a schedule. I was surprised at how quickly I could jump right back into the nursing lifestyle, after an entire summer of being out of it. However, there were two realizations I had that really shocked me:

1. Just how big the generation gap can be when it comes to technology.

I come from an age where computers are an everyday part of my life, and have been for as long as I can remember. As I've grown, technology has grown with me, and I have continuously learned to adapt to whatever new advances have been made. I know this is the same for pretty much all of the twenty-somethings at this point in time, and I sometimes forget that not everyone understands computers as well as my peers. You can imagine my surprise, then, when I remembered that women with 30 years of nursing under their belts in my orientation class would have a difficult time. I mean, it's hard not to be impatient when learning computers is like spelling our names-- we could basically do it in our sleep.

I felt for them, though, as I'm about as nervous to be a real nurse as they are to learn this new technology. It's new, it's difficult for them, and it's uncomfortable. I guess that's just a part of this occupation... being vulnerable, and having to learn new things because healthcare is ever-changing! I just was blown away at how something so simple to me could be so difficult for someone else.


2.  Turns out I don't dislike the heart and dysrhythmias as much as I thought!

All throughout nursing school, I hated heart rhythms. I didn't understand anything past the simple (normal sinus, tachy, brady), and I had a hard time reading strips. Or so I thought. Turns out, I just needed a refresher for the lightbulb to go off in my head. After two class days in orientation and a well-explained packet, I saw everything clearly. Just goes to show that you can never be too confident in what you like or dislike. There will always be opportunities to surprise yourself! Trust me, I'm continuing to realize this more and more each day.

I hope you're all having a wonderful week! Stay tuned for more posts... comments and suggestions are always welcomed and encouraged!

No comments:

Post a Comment