Pages

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Think Pink

I'm a nurse, but sometimes I... Like to bring breast cancer awareness to people who are not my patients. 

Breast cancer has made a major impact on my life. My grandma passed away before I was born from Paget's disease of the breast (a form of breast cancer), and I have two aunts who are now breast cancer-free. Because of these women, I have always found it important to bring awareness to other people... With October being Breast Cancer awareness month, I couldn't think of a better time! 

I just want women, especially girls in their twenties, to realize that breast cancer doesn't just affect older women, and we need to be more aware. This means monthly self-breast exams, and making sure that we are keeping an eye out for any abnormalities. 

You should perform the exam around the same time each month, looking and feeling for any abnormal lumps. Any lump you may find does not mean you have cancer, but it is good to follow up with your primary wealth care provider. The National Breast Cancer Awareness Month website (nbcam.org) has a lot of quality information regarding breast cancer and Gould be checked out!

Take care of yourself. Know your body, and seek help when you think it's needed! I hope you all have a great October, stick around for some of my favorite pink posts, as well as some festive, Halloween-themed posts! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment