Pages

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Orientation Updates

I'm a nurse, but sometimes I... need a moment to remember that the job is difficult, but it's worth it.

This post may come out jumbled, because I'm writing it after my first twelve-hour shift on my new unit. I have to be back in the morning for an eight-hour day, but I wanted to write a quick post about my feelings as a newly graduated, still-in-orientation nurse.

One thing you all need to know about me, is that I love people of all ages. I went into nursing because I love taking care of people. That being said, I've always had a yearning to work with babies and children. I have had a desire for pediatric and neonatal nursing since I first decided to become a nurse, and throughout my studies that never changed. I spent my last semester of nursing school precepting a nurse at a beautiful children's hospital.

So, it's a wonder that I ended up in an Intermediate unit, floating between three different hospitals. It was difficult for me to find a pediatric position after moving back home, and I actually only received one interview. It was a lot more difficult than I thought to find a job in this area, and I am so very thankful for the nurse manager who ended up hiring me. Although it wasn't my first choice of position, I am very fortunate for this opportunity and I'm excited for the new experience!

It's going to be a challenge for me, I know that. I forgot how labor-intensive working with some adults is, but I also am beginning to remember how rewarding caring for adults can be. Children don't appreciate nursing care like some adults. They don't look at you with thankful eyes and tell you how wonderful they think you are, and how happy they are that you are taking care of them. I remembered today that there are rewarding aspects in all areas of nursing, if you keep an open mind.

I am excited for my journey as a nurse. I know there are many different experiences and opportunities in my future, and I'm ready to take them on. I'm thankful for other kind nurses who have helped me this far in orientation, and I hope I can be that person for someone, someday. I hope you all have a wonderful Tuesday... check back in for more posts throughout the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment